Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Calligraphy Class, Part One

That's it. My first shot at calligraphy. There's room for improvement, I'll give you that, but I'm really excited about the whole thing. The class was tons of fun and the instructor--what a hoot! I thoroughly enjoyed my first calligraphy class and am excited to learn more as the weeks go by.
As you can see, last night we learned some of the basic strokes of calligraphy as well as the most basic way of printing numerals. I think that the "4" is particularly enjoyable. You can tell that I really had some initial problems with the "5" -- what a doosey! But I picked it up after a bit. My best number (as in the one that looks the most like the model) is a "7" though there's not much to that number in the first place.
Up at the top are the basic strokes, which were really fun. I could spend all day working on those, of course, they aren't too pretty. After you work on them for a while, you start to notice that what may initially look straight, is actually not straight at all, but slanted or crooked. And all the "c" and backwards "c" shapes are my attempts at semi-circles. Wow. That's hard to do, and I'm serious. Getting a perfect semi-circle is near impossible for me, but obviously, these things take lots and lots of practice.
I'll keep y'all updated on my progress...

1 comment: